Next challenge: Python 3.x support.
I am pleased to announce version 2.21.4 of the Python bindings for GObject.
The new release is available from ftp.gnome.org as and its mirrors as
soon as its synced correctly:
What's new since PyGObject 2.21.3?
- Build the cairo shim as a python module so the _gi module
stops linking to it (Tomeu Vizoso)
- add drawing area demo (John (J5) Palmieri)
- sort the demo list (John (J5) Palmieri)
- rename iter to treeiter so we aren't using a python reserved
word (John (J5) Palmieri)
- Fixup for change in buffer API (John (J5) Palmieri)
- add ListStore, TreeStore and TreeViewColumn APIs (John (J5) Palmieri)
- Add unit test for add_actions user data. (Ignacio Casal Quinteiro)
- Pass user_data param when adding actions (Paolo Borelli)
- add an exception type to the try/except block (John (J5) Palmieri)
- return PyList instead of PyTuple for array, return empty
list for NULL arrays (John (J5) Palmieri)
- Fix 'make distcheck' (Tomeu Vizoso)
- Allow building pygobject without introspection support by
providing --disable-introspection to configure. (Tomeu Vizoso)
- Make sure that sys.argv is a list and not a sequence. (Tomeu Vizoso)
- Force loading the GObject typelib so we have available the
wrappers for base classes such as GInitiallyUnowned. (Tomeu Vizoso)
- we shouldn't g_array_free NULL pointers (John (J5) Palmieri)
- remove unneeded TextIter creation in the tests (John (J5) Palmieri)
- add override for TextBuffer (John (J5) Palmieri)
- fix up some build issues (John (J5) Palmieri)
- make the overrides file git friendly by appending to __all__
after each override (John (J5) Palmieri)
- Override Dialog constructor and add_buttons method (Paolo Borelli)
- Merge PyGI (Johan Dahlin)
Note to packagers:
The configure option --enable-pygi has been removed and we build now
introspection support by default. It's not recommend for distros, but
if needed, you can build PyGObject without requiring
gobject-introspection by passing --disable-introspection. When built
with introspection support (the default) we require pycairo as a build
dependency. We now install one more python module _gi_cairo.so that
links to libcairo and depends on pycairo and that should be packaged
GObject is an object system library used by GTK+ and GStreamer.
PyGObject provides a convenient wrapper for the GObject library for use
in Python programs, and takes care of many of the boring details such as
managing memory and type casting. When combined with PyGTK, and
gnome-python, it can be used to write full featured Gnome applications.
Like the GObject library itself PyGObject is licensed under the
GNU LGPL, so is suitable for use in both free software and proprietary
applications. It is already in use in many applications ranging
from small single purpose scripts up to large full
PyGObject requires glib >= 2.22.4 and Python >= 2.3.5 to build.
GIO bindings require glib >= 2.22.4.
Please remember that this is an unstable release and shouldn't be used
The PyGObject team